Slavic and East European Languages and Cultures Minor
Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures
426 Dey Hall, CB# 3160
The Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures conducts research and offers instruction in the languages, literatures, and cultures of central, northern, and eastern Europe and northern Asia.
- Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures Major, B.A.–Central European Studies Concentration
- Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures Major, B.A.–German Literature and Culture Concentration
- Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures Major, B.A.–German Media, Arts, and Culture Concentration
- Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures Major, B.A.–Russian Language and Culture Concentration
- Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures Major, B.A.–Slavic and East European Languages and Cultures Concentration
In addition to the program requirements listed below, students must:
- take at least 9 credits of their minor course requirements at UNC–Chapel Hill
- earn a minimum of 12 hours of C or better in the minor (some minors require more)
For more information, please consult the degree requirements section of the catalog.
|A minimum of five courses (15 hours) in CZCH, HUNG, MACD, PLSH, RUSS, SECR, or SLAV. 1||15|
The first two semesters of any language may not be counted toward this minor (e.g., CZCH 401/CZCH 402, HUNG 401/HUNG 402, MACD 401/MACD 402, PLSH 401/PLSH 402, RUSS 101/RUSS 102, SECR 401/SECR 402).
GSLL courses numbered above 200 may count toward the minor with the approval of the director of undergraduate studies.
Students who receive placement credit (PL) or By-Examination credit (BE) for RUSS 203, RUSS 204, RUSS 409, or for the first five courses in CZCH, HUNG, PLSH, or SECR (401, 402, 403, 404, 405) must substitute this credit with coursework (three credit hours each to replace each course with PL or BE credit) to complete the requirements for the minor. Students may not re-enroll in a course for which they have received PL or BE credit.
At least nine credit hours beyond the first two semesters of the language must be taken at UNC–Chapel Hill to fulfill the requirements of the minor. Students who study abroad or wish to transfer credit from another institution may apply to transfer one course counting toward the minor. Before their departure for a study abroad program, students should consult the relevant director of undergraduate studies about appropriate courses taken abroad for the minor.
Note: Topics courses may be repeated for credit toward the major or minor.
Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures course descriptions include:
- Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures (GSLL)
- Czech (CZCH)
- Hungarian (HUNG)
- Macedonian (MACD)
- Polish (PLSH)
- Russian (RUSS)
- Serbian and Croatian (SECR)
- Slavic (SLAV)
See program page here for special opportunities.