Study Abroad

Living and studying in another culture can be one of the most beneficial experiences a student has during their college career. Such an experience can positively impact a student’s academic program, career path, and personal growth.

The College of Arts and Sciences Study Abroad Office (SAO), located in the FedEx Global Education Center, and the Kenan–Flagler Business School's Undergraduate Global Programs, located in the McColl Building, offer high quality, for-credit academic experiences abroad that provide meaningful opportunities for academic, personal, and professional growth. Each office strives to ensure programs are accessible, cost-effective, and safe for all students.

The Study Abroad Office facilitates study abroad programs for the entire campus, working with the College of Arts and Sciences, and schools and departments throughout the University. Programs available include undergraduate student exchanges, faculty-led, and direct enroll programs during the summer, semester, and academic year. Options are available throughout the world for every major and minor at UNC — some programs offering  varied curriculums, while others are focused on a particular academic discipline.

The Kenan–Flagler Business School's Undergraduate Global Programs administer semester, summer, and immersion programs available only to students admitted to the Kenan–Flagler Business School.

Students may fulfill elective, General Education, and major/minor requirements abroad. All students who participate in approved study abroad programs will earn experiential education (EE) General Education credit. Approval for major/minor credits must be granted by the director of undergraduate studies or study abroad liaison in the relevant department, and approval for General Education requirements must be granted by the Study Abroad Office, which coordinates the approval process in both instances. Some programs, such as UNC–Chapel Hill faculty-led options, offer University graded course credits. Most programs will offer transfer credit that can also be used to fulfill requirements toward graduation. Study abroad credit will be awarded to students participating in the programs administered by these UNC–Chapel Hill offices. Students seeking to participate in other programs for academic credit may submit an appeal or approval to the Study Abroad Office.

Students are encouraged to begin thinking about study abroad as early as possible in their academics at UNC, allowing them to fit a global experience into their academic program. The first step is to attend  a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn about the many opportunities available. Students can then arrange an advising session in the Study Abroad Office. Through these informational meetings and appointments, SAO staff assist students in choosing the best programs for their academic, financial, personal, and professional goals.


Study Abroad Office
FedEx Global Education Center, CB# 3130
(919) 962-7002
Jason Kinnear, Interim Associate Dean of Study Abroad and International Exchanges

Kenan–Flagler Business School's Undergraduate Global Programs
McColl Building, CB# 3490
(919) 962-1171
Angela Bond, Senior Associate Director, Undergraduate Global Programs